Badin Points of Interest
Business District, 1913. Begun by the French, Badin’s commerce included stores for clothing, millinery, shoes, jewelry, groceries, hardware and automobiles. There were restaurants, barbershops, a drug store and a bank. Today’s Town Hall was home to B. T. Garrison’s grocery.
1) Baptist Church. Building began in 1917 and was completed in 1927, with the cornerstone laid in 1919. (Civil War gravestones)
2) Hospital. Built in 1918 for Alcoa employees, this was the only hospital in Stanly County until the 1930′s. In the 1940′s it served as an employment office and later became Alcoa’s Conference Center.
3) Library (behind gazebo). Built in 1949 as a medical clinic for Alcoa employees, the building now serves Badin as a Stanly County branch library
4) Post Office. On the former site of Badin’s Opera House (1918-1959), the Post Office was erected in 1961 and later dedicated to Badin’s first mayor, John T. “Tom” Garrison.
5) Badin Historic Museum. This building began as Alcoa’s Rent Office in 1915 and was used as a kindergarten in the 1920′s. In 1999, it was moved one block west on Falls Road to become Badin’s first museum.
6) Quadruplex Museum. One of many French-designed “townhouses,” in 2004 this was fully restored, furnished and opened as a historical reference of 1914 Alcoa employee housing.
7) Firehouse Museum. Built in 2004, the Firehouse protects Badin’s 1937 Ford American LeFrance fire truck, hose reels and memorabilia. A special display exhibits over 250 Alcoa photos of river history and town development.
8 ) Methodist Church. Built in 1919, the original building was demolished in 1973 and the present one completed in 1974.
9) Holly Park (open to the public). Rest at a picnic table while noting surrounding architectural styles and French “cottages.”
Maple to Falls Road: Note the quadruplex apartments and two of three roof styles-”high hip” and “cross gable.”
10) Presbyterian Church. Organized in 1917, this building was built by 49 charter members in 1920.
11) Badin Inn. The main structure was built by the French in 1913 to house single male engineers. In 1915, with the construction of the school, the annex was built for single female school teachers. Today, the Inn offers lodging, dining and golf.
Kirk Place, Boyden to Henderson: note the third quadruplex roof style, “gable.”
12) Henderson to Nantahala. The large 3-story home was built in 1914 for Alcoa’s Works Manager, exclusively. The next three “bungalows,” built in 1920 for managers, included shared driveways and double garages with servants quarters above. Also note the duplex units and “cottages.”
13) Badin School. The schoolhouse was opened in 1916 with seven grammar and four high school grades. Later additions were built in 1918, 1920 and 1924.
Return to business district by crossing grass at end of Henderson or go right to Boyden and left to the Post Office.
14) Plant Site
15) Parking and Boat Ramp
16) Picnic and Swimming Area
West Badin Points of Interest
Business District, 1918. With graveled, lighted, tree-lined streets, West Badin had concrete sidewalks, and high pressure fire hydrants. The painted cottages had electric lights, running water and sewer connections. Among many shops and stores was Alcoa-owned Badin Supply. Badin’s first police station was on Roosevelt Street.
1) Mt Zion Missionary Baptist (Sumpter and Sherman Streets). Now a church, in the 1920′s the building served as a Community Center for meetings and entertainment. Across Sumpter was a skating rink and dance hall.
2) West Badin School (Mayo street). The main building was constructed by Alcoa and dedicated in 1925 with a full twelve grades.
3) McDonald A.M.E. Zion Church (Mayo and Dewey Streets). Built by Alcoa in 1919, this church was organized as McDonald’s Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church with Rev. McDonald as it’s pastor.
4) First Baptist Church (Wayne and Thomas Streets).
5) St. Luke’s Church of the Living Word (Thomas and Roosevelt Streets).
6) Church of the Living God (Roosevelt and Washington Streets). Alcoa built this church in 1920 for a Baptist congregation organized in 1917.
7) Roosevelt Street. Note the few remaining 3-room and 4-room “cottages” built by Alcoa in 1916-1917.